This blog post is a part of the ’20 Things You Might Not Know About Me’ Blog Tag started by April from Blacksburg Belle. She began this blog tag experiment to build community among creatives, help us bloggers to connect more and get to know each other better. This month’s topic is all about sharing just a little too much information about yourself. If you’d like to participate or want more info, check out the beginning post right here.
How tall are you?
Pretty average but not tall enough to be a model: 168cm. That’s 5’8”.
Do you have a hidden talent? If so, what?
I can read and understand Russian. Although I am not good at speaking it so I prefer to keep this skill to myself.
What’s your biggest art-related pet peeve?
When someone starts talking about art in terms of “this is good and this is crap” then I can no longer take them seriously. We can measure skill and craft to a certain degree but visual art as a whole is much too subjective for one person to claim what is good art and what is not. And there is so much of different art, we can not possibly like all of it. So for me the correct way to phrase it would be to say “I don’t like this kind of art” instead of “This is crap”.
What’s your biggest non-art-related pet peeve?
Needless waste and littering: when smokers throw their cigarette butts on the ground or in the water; when people use tons of plastic bags at the fresh produce aisle (do you really need a bag for your one orange or your bananas or your already plastic-wrapped cauliflower??). And the packaging disaster products: one pepper wrapped in plastic and styrofoam? Or a box of tea wrapped in plastic, with a foil bag inside and each tea bag in turn individually packaged in plastic again? Don’t even get me started!
What’s your favorite song?
Right now it’s “Stay Alive” by Jose Gonzales.
What’s your favorite Etsy shop that isn’t yours?
I haven’t really gotten into shopping on Etsy all that much but the store that I’ve bought from and like the most items from is StudioMFshop.
What’s your favorite way to spend your free time when you’re alone?
Watching silly movies like Pitch Perfect or You’ve Got Mail and eating junk food.
What’s your favorite junk food?
Onion flavored potato chips for appetizer, then two-minute ramen noodles and (vegan) cookies’n’cream or salted caramel ice cream for dessert.
Do you have a pet or pets? If so, what kind and what are their names?
My partner’s dog Sally recently passed away, she was the funniest thing and must have been nearly 17 years old. Unfortunately we travel too much, otherwise we would definitely adopt a rescued dog. If we had a stable home we would love to foster old dogs that no-one else wants to adopt because of their age. Old dogs are the coolest even though they have their geriatric special needs.
What are your number one favorite nonfiction and fiction books?
Fiction: Currently it’s a tie between Lord Of The Rings and Harry Potter. Not very original, I know, but let’s be honest – those two series are amazing.
Non-Fiction: In light of current events I’d have to say “The Man Without A Face” by Masha Gessen. It’s difficult to say it’s my ‘favorite’ because this book is scary but I think it is a very important read.
What’s your favorite beauty product or tool?
Micabella mineral powder is the one must-have product for me. And I’m also pretty fussy about packing a hair dryer.
When were you last embarrassed? What happened?
I took someone to see a contemporary art exhibition and as soon as we entered the exhibition hall they exclaimed very loudly in front of the museum workers what a bunch of crap it all was. I do value honesty and people who aren’t afraid to say what they think but perhaps not so loudly that our personal opinions needlessly offend others. I did not manage to convince this person to see the whole exhibition. That was a little embarrassing.
If you could only drink one beverage (besides water) for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Fresh lemongrass-peppermint tea.
What’s your favorite movie?
Oh dear. This is embarrassing to admit but considering the number of times I’ve seen it and still not sick of it: 10 Things I Hate About You.
What were you in high school: prom queen, nerd, cheerleader, jock, valedictorian, band geek, loner, artist, prep?
I was a valedictorian punk. True story.
If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you live?
New York City!!
PC or Mac?
This question is the cause of our most serious domestic arguments I’m afraid. Macinposh my partner calls it. But yes, I am a Mac girl through and through.
Last romantic gesture from a crush, date, boy/girlfriend, spouse?
I think it’s pretty romantic when my partner prepares dinner without being asked. He made a really nice pasta dish the other day. Now I feel like having pasta every day, hehe.
Kerli. I love her music and her style. My taste in music has morphed along with hers and she has definitely inspired my fashion style as well.
What blogger do you secretly want be best friends with?
Damn it. That’s a personal question! Oh, all right, I would totally love to be friends with Jonathan Fields.
I’m tagging these ten people to do this ’20 Things You Might Not Know About Me’ Blog Tag by answering these same questions in a blog post:
1. April from Blacksburg Belle because she’s the mastermind behind this genius idea. I’ve been wanting to write a post like this for ages and thanks to April I really had no excuses now.
2. Sage Grayson because she is so sweet and fun, I want to know her answers to some of these questions!
3. Consu Tolosa who has become a blogging artist buddy for me and mutual support is very very important in this business.
4. Rational Philip because he is my best friend and even though this is off-topic for his current events blog I would still love to see what he has to say, especially about question #18.
5. Nichole from Embody Your Muse cause she is one of my awesome accountability buddies. Her blog is really taking off recently, featuring creative people from various fields. It would be great to read a little more about Nichole as well.
6. Richelle from Red Scorpio Handmade because we’ve been following each other via blog and Instagram and it would be awesome to get to know her a little better.
7. Austin Kleon because he is my creative hero. I love seeing his books in bookstores all over the world, even in small places like Tallinn or Byron Bay. This guy is awesome and his newsletters are always full of clickable material. I would love to find out more about him.
8. Kerli cause I love her and the community she has built. I’m sure there are thousands of people who would love to know her answers to those questions.
9. Jonathan Fields well there you go, I just have to tag him now because his is the one blog I always read. I think we’d get along really well in real life.
10. YOU! Yes, you. Now it’s your turn to do the same. Click here to copy all the questions and get started!